After a much-needed (for us, anyways!) October break, we are so excited to host our first November meeting tonight. It is promised to be a great opportunity to reunite with our Warrior community, share our news and new writing, or for those of us who took a TRUE break and steered clear of the pen and paper altogether over the holiday, to dust off the cobwebs and reinvigorate ourselves for the months ahead. To help motivate and inspire us to GET WRITING AGAIN, we have compiled a list of specific upcoming writing contests, resources for finding ongoing contests, suggested websites and publications to follow, and other resources that are sure to help get you going. If we learned anything making this list, it's that there are a TON of resources and opportunities out there, if you're willing to find them. So use this list as a jumping off point, and don't be shy: Share your favorite publications, contests, or other resources in the comments below or on our Facebook page. Thank you, and happy writing!
Writing Opportunities and Resources!
Specific Upcoming Contests
1. Glimmer Train - New Writer Award (Contest): First Prize $1,500, publication and 10 copies of issue. This category is open only to emerging writers whose fiction has not appeared in any print publication with a circulation over 5000. Deadline: 11/30
2. Blogging It! - For those of you with a blog, Writer's Carnival is looking for an engaging blog post on any topic (no more than 750 words) Prize is US $100 and deadline is December 31.
3. Color On! - Something a bit different, Color On Magazine is looking for submissions of any work about coloring and art therapy - interviews, an article, reflections, etc. Since we have so many colorers in this book, it could be an option! Rolling submissions.
4. Writer's Forum Magazine - Short Story and Poetry contests every month for each issue. 1st Prize is £300, 2nd £150 and 3 £100. Entry fee is £6. (Short story) For poetry, prize is 100 and entry fee is 4.
Short Story entry: http://www.writers-forum.com/storycomp.html
Poetry entry: http://www.writers-forum.com/poetrycomp.html
5. Cinnamon Press Annual Short Story Prize - Fee is £12, prizes of £500, £100 & £50, and deadline is May 31, 2016.
6. Cinnamon Press also has a series of mini-competitions, the next of which is due December 31 and is called "Dark Interiors" - poems (up to 50 lines) or micro-fictions (maximum 1,000 words).
7. Telegraph "Just Back" Travel Writing Competition.
8. PRISM Creative Nonfiction Contest - Deadline Nov. 20, entry fee is $40, prize is $1,500 Canadian (approximately $1,125) and publication in PRISM is given annually for an essay. Submit an essay of up to 6,000 words with a $40 entry fee by November 20. All entries are considered for publication. For details on this and all of their contests, visit:
9. Atlantis Short Story Contest - Deadline November 30, entry fee $10, First prize $300.Story of any genre, max 2,500 words.
10. Writers' Village International Short Fiction Award - Winter 2015: Deadline November 30, Entry fee $24, First Prize $1,600 and 2nd $800. Accepting Any genre of prose fiction may be submitted up to 3,000 words.
Links to general lists of contests
1. Poets and Writers - Current contests sortable by genre, deadline, submission fee; writing resources and prompts; newsletter
(Link to their submissions calendar) http://www.pw.org/submission_calendar
2. A whole long list of upcoming competitions for fiction, poetry and the likes from PrizeMagic.
3. A list of 27 reputable, well-reviewed, free writing contests posted on The Write Life:
4. The Best Free Literary Contests from Winning Writers:
5. Creative Writing Contests with NO Entry Fees (From FreelanceWriting)
6. 25 Writing Competitions You Should Enter (from Daily Writing Tips)
Facebook Pages/Websites/Resources for Writers/Publications Worth Following
1. Writer's Carnival - Lots of contests, prompts and motivation!
http://www.writerscarnival.ca/ (FB page also)
2. The Write Life - Tips and opportunities for making a living as a writer
http://thewritelife.com/ (FB page also)
3. Funds for Writers (dot) com - "We emphasize finding money to make writing a realistic career." Writing tips, industry articles, competitions, grants, etc.
4. Prism art and Literary Mag: https://www.facebook.com/OSUPrism/?fref=ts
5. Cinnamon Press: https://www.facebook.com/Cinnamon-Press-1601566133440035/?fref=ts
6. Poets&Writers: https://www.facebook.com/poetsandwriters/?fref=ts
7. PRISM International (from contests above): https://www.facebook.com/PrismLitMag/?fref=ts
8. Winning Writers: https://www.facebook.com/Winning-Writers-162296717154461/?fref=ts
9. Freelance Writing (dot) com - http://www.freelancewriting.com/
10. The Writer (magazine) - FB https://www.facebook.com/TheWriterMagazine and website www.writermag.com
11. Aerogramme Writers' Studio - https://www.facebook.com/A.WritersStudio/?fref=ts (FB) and http://www.aerogrammestudio.com/category/news/ (website) - grants, competitions, resources, etc.
12. Daily Writing Tips: http://www.dailywritingtips.com
1. Links to 26 Writing Residencies and information on how to apply (From the Write Life)